Okay then, I'm bored and can't sleep so I'm going to link to stuff I enjoy on the net and give a quick description of what it's about.
First up is every ones favourite game critic Yahtzee (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation). Now Yahtzee 'reviews' games and by that I mean he rips the shit out of them and focuses on what went wrong, he also goes off on tangents which can be pretty funny. Yeah I know the mini description is crap but if you really want to know check him out yourself, this also applies to everything I link you to. Oh and before I forget he updates on Wednesdays.
Next up are Extra Credits (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/extra-credits). These guys look at video gaming in general and how mechanics or aspects of it can be improved and why certain bits of it go wrong. Along with being entertaining they are generally pretty informative as well so it's not just another waste of time as you may actually learn something. Updates Thursdays.
Also on the Escapist (noticing a pattern yet?) is The Big Picture with Movie Bob (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-big-picture). Movie Bob also does Escape to the Movies (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies), now in The Big Picture he looks at all things geek and is again pretty informative if you aren't too familiar with that weeks subject, for example I learnt about H.E.A.T (Hal's Emerald Attack Team) in last weeks episode. Escape to the Movies is movie reviews and the such, expect lots of mocking if he doesn't like it and lots of praise if he does with very little mention of its flaws. The Big Picture updates Tuesdays and Escape to the Movies updates Fridays.
Another one from the Escapist is Unskippable (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/unskippable). Not much to explain with these guys, they watch the opening cut scene of a game and mock it. Pretty funny stuff and they update Mondays.
Well there's your daily dose of videos from the Escapist but it wouldn't really be fair just to give their links out I'm pretty sure they get enough traffic as it is, not that I'd add much but I seem to have a few visitors already, so here's some webcomics.
On the comic front we have Questionable Content (http://questionablecontent.net/) which is a slice of life comic with a group of mates and some robots. Got quite a bit of plot while still remaining light and funny (well most of the time) and the art style still hasn't settled yet. Oh yeah and at almost 2000 pages you might have the urge to Archive Binge, go ahead but you can pick up at any point at least I did but that was about 500 pages ago. Updates Monday-Friday
Another one is XKCD (http://xkcd.com/) a geeky webcomic that makes a a lot of science or math based jokes along with a few based no real plot tough it does have recurring characters and the occasional multi-part story arc. Updates Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.
Finally on the webcomic front Cyanide and Happiness (http://www.explosm.net/comics/2455/). 4 artists doing short strips that generally result in one of the cast dead or injured. Lots of dead baby style jokes so be warned. Updates daily.
Along with those here's a couple sites to keep you interested as well. First up Reddit (redd.it) it has pretty much everything you could ever want. Just make an account edit your subscriptions to various sub-reddits and enjoy.
Next up is Tvtropes (Tvtropes.org). This thing will take over your life, search for a show/game/movie/ect. you like and read the artical it gives you. Now resist opening any tabs to find out what they mean, go on I dare you, done it? Thought not that's why it will take over your life as you open more articals there will be more links to click until eventually it's 8 hours later and you have 100 tabs open...not that I know from experience or anything.
Finally is Drunken Moogle (http://www.thedrunkenmoogle.com/), essentially it's a bunch of gaming based cocktails and drinking games. Enjoy it and try them out they're very nice, updates are a tad haphazard though.
And that's it folks, it's taken me about 2 hours to type this out and I can't be bothered to re-read it for spelling errors and the such so I apologise if there are any. Any way it's kept me occupied, didn't help with getting to sleep but oh well.
For shame Umbra. All that Escapist, and no Stolen Pixels? Shamus Young is pretty damn great. If you haven't already I suggest reading DM of the Rings. It's pretty funny, even if you're not that into DnD.
ReplyDeleteI'll look into, anything to distract me would be nice.
ReplyDelete